More old photos of the tennis courts in use, courtesy of Stuart Gough.We found this lovely artist’s impression of the shoreline in front of where the pavilion is now. This antique engraving dates from 1898. Clear evidence of fishing activity going on, nets stretched out on the shore being busily worked on.
Below…. the original lawn tennis court, 1884, before the existing courts were built. Players using solid wood tennis rackets and sporting long trousers.